Have you ever woken up and “just didn’t feel like it”? Didn’t feel like going to work. Didn’t feel like being mom. Didn’t feel like being the go-between in the family argument. Didn’t feel like making dinner or planning the upcoming event. Just flat didn’t feel like adulting?
I have been there too. Those days where I just can’t quite get going. The ones where I don’t want to do what’s on my schedule, but I don’t really know what else I want to do either.
I have found a few practical steps that have helped me overcome these feelings and helped me to reset and I wanted to share them with you!
- Don’t be too hard on yourself. Sometimes we put too much pressure on ourselves to be everything to everyone. Allow yourself some time to unwind.
- Pray. Ask God for the strength to get what’s on your list done today. He will never let you down.
- Pause and reflect. What brought these feelings on in the first place?
- Realign your priorities. Chances are if you don’t feel like it, you might be burned out. Make some time in your schedule to have some alone time or down time or do something fun, just for you.
- Get some rest. Our emotions tend to suffer when we are overtired. So ask your husband to take the night shift with the kids, or skip that late night movie with friends, or choose to call your family member back the next day after you have caught up on some much needed sleep.
- Remind yourself why you are doing what you are doing. Think about the impact you are making to someone or something.
The truth is, we all get worn down on our journeys. But our God is One of strength and power and compassion and peace. He will give us everything we need for the journey he has called us to. Believe him for it!